Pilgrimage/Religious tourism

Church "St. Nikola Letni" (St. Nikolas in the summer) – Gumoshtnik

The church "St. Nichola Letni" (built in 1838) in the village of Gumushtnik is part of a Revival architectural complex of historical and artistic value and is declared  for a monument of culture.

The church is three-nave, with a stone roof and walls up to 1.5 m thick. The grandeur of the church is intensified not only by its size, but also by the way of its construction and interior decoration.

The church iconostasis is extremely beautiful - a real masterpiece of the Bulgarian carvings from the Revival. It is the work of masters from the village of Novo Selo - Nikola Mateev and his son Yonko. The 12 compositions with biblical scenes that are at the base of the altar are highly influential.

The attention of the visitor is attracted by the rarely presented scene of a lion, trembling with his feet, the figure of a man falling on the ground, with a fez (traditional Turkish hat )rolling to him, which the researchers interpreted as a symbol of the belief that the Bulgarian lion would overcome the Ottoman enslave.

The icons in the church are extremely artistical and well preserved. They are painted by the iconographer Atanas Minchev from Batoshevo, Naum and Nencho Ilievi from Debarsko, Pencho h. Naydenov, Simeon Tsonyuv from Tryavna.

In the courtyard of the Church “St. Nichola Letni” in Gumoshtnik is located one of the few preserved in Bulgaria church schools from the Revial. It was built in 1829 and in present days is the only preserved church school in Lovech district. Duting its existence it was transformed into a secular school and work in that way for more than 100 years. In its present form it was restored in 1979.

In one of the rooms of the school is presented a reconstruction of a classroom of that time.There are desks with sand (used by the students for writing and easy rubbing), writing plates with narrow and wide rows on the one side, and with squares for calculations on the other, school supplies from that time – slate-pencils, ink pots, etc. Among the exhibits is a spelling book from 1896.

On the first floor of the building of the school is arranged a museum collection that presents the history of the village. There, visitors can see exhibits related to the life and lifestyle of the local population (buckles, oil lamps, distaff, reaping-hooks, etc.), artifacts discovered during archaeological excavations of Thracian mounds in the vicinity, documents related to the inhabitants of the village, who died on "Titanic" and in the Wars for Liberation and Reunion of  Bulgaria.

The key for the church is in the Community Center “Otets Paisiy - 1927”, in the village of Gumoshtnik – phone +359 889 99 15 87.

Месечен бюлетин

Анкета

Моля попълнете нашата анкета.

© 2018 - 2023 Troyan Municipality - Information Cultural Center. All rights reserved.